Saturday, January 29, 2011

Modkid Maya Take 2

I had more fabric slated for the Maya pattern, so for this one I tried to make it as different as I could. I sewed the short-sleeved version, and I didn't feel like sewing more ruffles, so I changed the neckline to a tie one. I think I might like it better than the ruffles, and it was far easier. :)

Fabric: Pink Blossoms by Patty Young for Michael Miller Fabrics. The trim is Solid Raspberry.

Pattern: Modkid Maya. I am in love with this pattern. I don't think I'm done with it yet. Amertized out of how much I will sew it, even full price, this pattern is a bargain. I LOVE Modkid patterns! Have I sold you all, yet???

If I were a really awesome blogger, I would have taken pictures on how I changed the neckline. Buuut I didn't take pictures. Whoops. :p I will say that I took the neckline binding piece and added, oh, something like a good 18" inches on either side of it. So, 36" total to whatever its original length was. To attach it you:

1. Sew both shoulder seams.

2. Fold your new, extra-long binding piece in half, right sides together.

3. Sew along the short sides and 18" in on each long side.

4. Turn right sides out & press the whole thing flat.

5. Clip about 1/4" in from where you stopped your stitching.

6. Decide where you want your bow to be on the front of the dress/top, and mark that as your "center".

7. Mark the rest of the neckline in quarters in relation to your new "center".

8. Mark the non-tie part of your binding strip into quarters (just as if you hadn't added ties on either end of it).

9. Attach the binding as per the instructions, except you will be sewing it in the round.

10. Topstitch as directed & then tie a bow.

Yay, it's a bow neckline.

I love how simple this skirt is, and how little fabric it uses up. I think it's definitely going to be a staple knit skirt pattern for me!

Up next, more Michael Miller knit projects!

1 comment: