Friday, January 14, 2011

Projects on my mind


It seems my resolution to sew all of our clothes this year includes another goal. That is, increasing my sewing skills. It's really two-fold:

1. By sewing so much, I will get better at it.

2. By including an adult man, adult woman, and a toddler boy into this resolution, I will have to learn to sew NEW THINGS.

See, I love sewing rectangles together and making stretchy t-shirts, always will, but I wanna learn some other schtuff.

Well, I've had this Oliver & S Jump Rope Dress pattern sitting in my pattern drawer, getting lonely because I know it would take me longer than sewing a bunch of ruffles with my serger.

Yeah, sigh, it's taking me longer. It has actual pattern pieces and a collar and a placket (like on a polo shirt), y'know.

Doesn't help that I missed a couple sewing nights this week (ack! I knew I would jinx myself by sharing!). I've actually come to the conclusion that 10-14 hours a week may not be enough to dive into my sewing year. I need to incorporate it into my daytime schedule somehow. Hmm.

In the midst of enjoying a little slow-down with my current dress project, I've had some other sewing related items on my mind...

-As I cut & sew in the evenings, I've been listening to episodes of the Sew Forth Now podcast on my iPhone, headphones in. Don't let Lori's laid back tone fool you--she is an excellent, experienced seamstress. She is super stylish, and everything she makes is awesome. I love her interviews with famous bloggers/people in the sewing world and her pattern reviews. I've already learned quite a bit from her. She sews a lot for herself and for her kids, and while she's definitely in a different stage of life than I am, I enjoy listening to her sewing chatter.

-I am considering participating in Casey's Swing Dress Sew-Along, which uses Sense & Sensibility's Swing Dress pattern. I am a huge fan of Casey's blog, which covers all things vintagey, cooking, crafts, and sewing. This would be a great project to learn some basic female-form fitting techniques, of which I am totally clueless.

-Also pretty much 90% sure I'm going to do Peter's Men's Shirt Sew Along over at his blog, Male Pattern Boldness. I have been dying over Colette's new Negroni pattern, and along with the David Coffin's Shirtmaking book my MIL gave me for my birthday, I think I'm ready for a project like this.

-I have some lovely fabric coming in for some new cafe aprons for my etsy shop. And I still need to put up some other items I've already completed. More on that in the next week!

Back to *cough* The Studio for me...

2 comments:

  1. BTW ... Princess D came home from school the other day and said that you were going to sew her a dress, a crown and a hair band! You have a busy year ahead of you, my friend! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really?? LOL! Well, I'm not too surprised...today Vi told me that I needed to sew another classmate a princess dress-up dress for her birthday because she didn't have any. As if that were the saddest thing, ever. Haha! These Kindergarteners are going to keep me busy! ;)

    ReplyDelete