Monday, January 10, 2011

Tillbrook Mia

These Tillbrook Fairies made quite a splash when they came out, oh, something like 2 years ago? Naturally I have hoarded mine, saving them for the perfect project.

But now I have decided that there is always more fabric. So into the rotary blade and sewing machines goes my treasured pieces.

I wanted to use up a good bit of the 5 total yards I had of this line. I still have about 2 yards of the all-over fairies and .5 of the mushrooms left after this, so I will save those for a later dress. Probably something super Summery or something.

Since we're just barely into Winter, and this pattern is short sleeved, I also sewed a long-sleeved shirt (Ottobre 4/2004 #36) and 3/4 leggings (Ottobre 2/2007 #17) out of some cream colored 100% cotton interlock from Joanns.

Technically you should sew leggings out of knit fabrics with lycra in them, but I suck at following rules. This is what I had on hand that matched, so I went with it. I put slightly more ease in the leggings (added width at the side seams and around the crotch/back centre seam for DD's badonkadonk), and I think they fit fine. The first pair of leggings I bought at Target 5 years ago didn't have any lycra in them, and they held up fine for several years. We will see how these do.

On with it:

Fabric: Tillbrook Fairies by the Alexander Henry Collection. I used the border print for the skirt, the all-over fairies for the bodice and ruffle, and the mushrooms for the sleeves and belt.

Pattern: Pink Fig Mia. This was my first Pink Fig pattern. I must say that I am not drawn to hoard very many of their patterns, because so many of them seem to be similar. I think this is one of 2 or 3 peasant top patterns they have in their collection. For the price of a boutique pattern, I would rather get something unique, complex, and with several versions, as in Sandi Henderson's wonderful Portobello Pixie line. Oh well. I will say that this pattern appeared to be well-drafted, and the instructions were good. I came out of it with a smidge more respect for Pink Fig than I started with. This is one of the cutest peasant top patterns out there, and I do recommend it.

The Tillbrook border print actually has quite a bit of burgundy at the bottom, which I'm not a huge fan of. I set my rolled hem right at the bottom of the last mushroom row to cut most of the burgundy off.

The Mia actually has a double-layered skirt. The top skirt is cut so that it is slightly shorter than the underskirt. The underskirt has a 3" ruffle attached to it, so this way you get a good 2" of ruffle peeking out. I totally adore the look. (And so does she.)

The belt keeps riding up above the waist seam, so I may add some waist carriers at the side seams to keep it more in place. The waist seam isn't hideous per se, but I think it looks much better if it's covered up.

She insists this is her ballet dress, and asked to wear it to ballet. Which I haven't signed her up for yet. Because I'm a bad mom. Or, because I haven't been able to find one that is close and doesn't conflict with her school schedule. Help?!

The front and back bodice are both completely shirred, and the sleeves each have 2 rows of shirring. Combined with all of the rolled hems, this project is not difficult, but definitely tedious. I love the look of shirring, but I can't say that I enjoy sewing all of those shirring rows! Plus, I have had too many shirring disasters over the years (pulled out elastic, too-tight elastic, elastic that won't shir), that I always feel a little nervous when I do it. I think I've got it down by now, but I'm still left with the tedium.

Love these 3/4 sleeves. :)

See what I mean? Could there be more rolled hems? Okay, there could, but I mean seriously. This was definitely a 2-night project.

I wanted the ties to have a little more whimsy, so I did my own thing and made them shaped. It's subtle, but I love the way they turned out.

I did a quick little ribbon bow and ribbon covered headband for this, and you can't see, but I also hot-glued 2 pearl buttons in the middle. It goes with this dress, but will also match anything else she has that's pink. Part of me is scared, however, that it looks like a baby headband. DD loved it and wouldn't take it off though, so that is all that's important. I refuse to squash her free spirit (hey, did it work with me????).

I am trying this sewing schedule where I get all the dishes done, etc., and DD down by 7pm. Then I sew from 7-9pm. After that I can come down and spend some time with hubby or read. So far it's working great, and I am loving the production level I have. A few nights a week, I let myself sew until 11pm, in which case I can usually finish an entire project. Of course, times and needs change, so we will see how this works out long-term. If needs be, I may have to adapt the schedule.

Next up: either pjs for my son, or a corduroy shirtdress for her. We will see...

6 comments:

  1. Adorable!! Do you sell the hand-me-downs?? If not...you should....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise...no! This one goes in the archives, LOL. Anyone want a $100 hand-me-down? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just...ah-mazing! I love the...what'd ya call it, shirring? Beautiful! I cant imagine how horrendously tedious that was, but it looks gor-jus. Just love it, I'm sure she just adores it too! Such a great mommy, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, Love, LOVE this one. So cute. You have some great patterns. I wish I had your stash. And your sewing room. And your dedication. Ahhh, sigh. =) Oh, and a girl to sew for. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep coming back to this post just to drool over the fabric! It's so up my alley! And the dress? Charlotte would never take it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Erin! She does love it quite a bit, and she did refuse to take it off for a few days. I also have a weakness for fairy fabrics--I wish there were more out there!

    ReplyDelete