Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Maisonette Love


What do I love?

-Fabric
-Boutique-ness
-Bungalows

Well folks, I am happy to say that I have found a wee bit of my personal Shangri-La right here in North County. At one of the craft fairs I did recently, a fellow vendor told me that she loved my fabrics (duh), and asked me if I got them from Maisonette, a local fabric store. I said:

"Huh?"

And after she explained, I said:

"A local fabric store that sells GOOD, FABULOUS fabric and is in a bungalow??! Nearby??! LET ME HOP IN MY CAR!"

Okay, so maybe I didn't go right then (I was still manning my craft fair table, after all), but you betcha I went as soon as I could. And it is....oooh....it is WOOOON-derful!

It's like fabric orgasm. Once you walk in, you will say to yourself, "I am never settling for less than this again." It makes other fabric stores look like total crap. I mean, yeah, sometimes you still have to go to them, but not for quilting cottons, NO. Do not. Go to Maisonette first. Support your local independent store, and you will not only feel good about where your dollar is going, you will walk out with some freakin' amazing stuff. They have:

-Amy Butler
-Anna Maria Horner up the wazoo (have I mentioned she's my absolute fave??), including her glorious new voiles & velveteens
-Heather Bailey
-Kokka/Japanese prints
-Ty Pennington's new line (sounds odd, but trust me, it's amazing)
-Michael Miller knits
-So many beyond awesome boutique patterns, including Colette!
-Jumbo rick rack, vintage buttons, french flannel, MM bias tape, adorable unique ribbons
-And way more

Fabulous beach themed fabric & gray cotton rick rack for a custom apron order. This is really not the most representative of the kind of fabrics they have there. I just wanted to point out that I went in for something super specific that I hadn't been able to find anywhere else, and they totally delivered!

Japanese canvas for an apron for my son. I cannot look at this fabric without getting a silly grin on my face.

The accessories!! Since I already have quite enough fabric for most of my projects, the extras are of the hugest draws to Maisonette for me. Adorable crocheted trims from Riley Blake, ridiculously choke-on-the-cuteness strawberry buttons, and an amazing jewel-ish applique I have ear-marked for another bag from Style Stitches.

I have never heard of these Jamie Christina patterns?! But my sister and I died over this dress, so she had to get the Honey Girl. We can't wait to make some adorable Summer tops and dresses from it! I mean, yes, it includes the dreaded shirring, but look at the awesome result!

Okay, and here is one of the biggest things: I can't think of any fabric store...or maybe even store, period, where the salepeople are so nice. I am willing to endure whatever to get my supplies, but sometimes I weary of the rude clerks at just about every fabric store I go to. Ahem. You know the ones I'm talking about. And also the quilt shops where the staff assumes I'm either a) a clueless young person who knows nothing about sewing or b) I know nothing because I don't quilt. Like I said, I endure it because I just need my supplies, and my expectations are low. But how nice is it to shop somewhere where they are respectful AND helpful AND knowledgeable?? It's lovely. :)

Can I have a Maisonette gift card for my birthday?? ;)

(BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Maisonette, and they haven't asked me to write this blog post. I am just so excited that I had to share. :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment