I am embarrassed at how much I dragged my feet on this project. Even when I had time to sew, I found excuses to not work on it . While sewing on 7 buttons and hand-stitching the inside collar, I looked at this mass of what suddenly looked like prairie-homeschool-corduroy on my lap and thought, "this dress is awful, I might hate it, and I am going to have to chalk up all this work to a learning experience."
However, as I neared the finish line, it began to seem kind of cute-ish. When I put it on DD (who was thrilled, BTW), it looked even cuter. Like the classic shirtdress it is supposed to be, it was perfectly age appropriate and timeless on my 5 year old girl. Whew.
Fabric:
Cotton corduroy from Joanns. I have been pretty happy with all the cord I've purchased there. It is slightly thinner than what you might get from, say, Robert Kaufman or Michael Miller, but that suits our milder weather. This particular cut has been sitting in my stash for nigh on 2 years.
Pattern:
Oliver & S Jump Rope Dress. Comparing O & S's pattern catalog against my 4 years worth of Ottobre backlist issues, I tend to have similar ones already on hand, so it is hard to justify purchasing one. Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of the their patterns; it just doesn't make sense for me personally to collect them. But, this is the only non-Big 4 shirt dress pattern I have been able to find in my daughter's size, and I have heard so many good things about O & S that I wanted to try one of their designs.
Well, this is a completely awesome pattern. So well drafted, such good instructions. Even with high expectations, I am very impressed. This one was a labeled a 3 scissor pattern (out of 4), and I think that's about accurate. I usually use quicker, ready-to-wear techniques to construct my garments, but for this one I wanted to go old-fashioned and did everything exactly like the instructions said. Pressed open seams and all. Several of the style features were out of my comfort zone, and I'm so happy to have challenged myself:
-Button placket - You see these on the sleeves of men's shirts--it's a faced opening that is not on a seam, but rather opens up in the middle of the fabric. On this dress it's on the center front of the bodice.
-Collar
-Cuffed sleeves with a button tab that comes up over the cuff
-Gathering the old-fashioned way -- Make two lines of long stitches, then pull up on the threads to gather the fabric. I usually use my serger to gather, but in the spirit of slow old school, I forewent the serger this time.
Unfortunately not matter how much I told her that, DD insisted that there was another pocket opening underneath that flap. Of course, she came home from school with a missing button. Denying that she had tried to dig underneath the flap for the fabled second pocket and popped off the button. Sigh.
(You can guess what the addresses look like. Then when I try for the umpteenth time to explain that this is not how the world works: 1 day notice parties, lumpy envelopes with play-doh creations inside, markered addresses like "Prncus Avlin, hr has", the waterworks come...sigh. Then, more of these expressions.)
Lots of stuff to come.
Hi Leah,
ReplyDeleteI've been following your blog for awhile now and always enjoy your posts. Your description of the play-doh stuffed invitations just cracked me up. What a creative little girl you have and she is just adorable in the amazing things you make! I have two teenage boys who are so boring to sew for! :)
Welcome, Susan! I admit that I am lucky to have a little girl to sew for. :) But on the other hand, I have less time to sew for myself, which I also enjoy! It will be interesting to see how things change as she gets older.
ReplyDeleteGreat pattern---and such a cute version of it!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful dress, girl and fabric!
ReplyDeleteSometimes when material sits around for a while,One can go ''off'' it and our judgement can be harsh.... this is so lovely I think that may be the case.
That is a beautiful dress!! It just looks so classic. Can you tell us how you make the cute rosette for the wrist?
ReplyDeleteThanks Michelle! The bracelet is from my friend Lyn's Etsy shop, Latte With Linky
ReplyDeletehttp://www.etsy.com/shop/LattewithLinky
I don't think she has her jewelry up on her site right now, but you could always email her and see if she has any left! :)