Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Modkid Abigail & Thoughts

I went to click the "New Post" button on my dashboard, and saw that I now have 9 followers. Which is great. But I used to have 10.

Sad face. :(

I'm laughing at myself, because I SO don't want to be that person who ruthlessly tracks her friends/followers. I mean, you're not going to please everybody.

(What did I DO? Why?)

Blogging is confusing. I am wishy-washy about my own blogging aspirations. I don't carefully consider who my own audience is or what they (you) want. Mainly I just blog to my own pied piper muse.

(Which apparently doesn't please SOME people. *sniff*)

So why would I think that out of billions of sewing blogs, someone would read MINE? Because I'm so freaking special?

(But...surely I have a certain "something"? No?)

Uh uh. I will continue to pretend that I write "into a black hole" and leave it at that.

(Please love me.)

...oh, and also I made this tunic:

Fabric: Turquoise Mod Dot, Pink Ta Dot, and Scandi Chirp interlock from Michael Miller fabrics. Looking at these fabrics together, I feel the corners of my mouth tip up. They are so. Freaking. Happy/awesome/bright/soft/wonderful !!!

Pattern: Modkid Abigail. Another great knit pattern from Patty Young. I made the tunic with long sleeves, but the envelope shows several versions: short sleeve, cap sleeve-ish sleeve, dress length, etc. My brain is already putting other fabric combos together for future versions.

It is so cozy and cuddly that I want one. Patty, can you make this pattern in women's sizes??

I did a rolled hem on my serger for the bottom hem and sleeves. I put hot pink Woolly Nylon in my upper looper to get a nice, filled in edge, and stretched the heck out of the hem as I sewed. Getting a nice lettuce hem can take a little bit of practice, but it's a nice skill/tool to have. Once this goes through the wash the curls will tighten up and look even swoopier.

I had this really lovely vintage cotton ribbon in my ribbon box that perfectly matched the colors of the top, so I sewed a little tag on the side. I love happy coincidences like that. My sister got me a stash of several of these types of ribbons at a garage sale years ago. They are priceless to me in an era when even poly-blend eyelet costs $2.49 a yard, yuck. Did I mention this ribbon is made of 100% natural fibers and I have yards and yards of it...for pennies? Garage sales are amazing.

P.S. Patty Young has also designed some wonderful ribbons that coordinate with her fabrics. You could use a bit of one of those for the same effect. You can find them at Maisonette, Banberry Place, Fabric.com, etc!

This is what happens when your little brother tries to get in the shot. Ugh.

What are these? Well, as you can see above, I paired her tunic with leggings. She refuses to wear jeans. Then on a whim, I decided to try and make some "jeggings" for her by fiddling with an existing leggings pattern. She tried them on and they fit, but...I have doubts as to whether or not she will actually wear them. Even though I used a verrrry stretchy denim, I still don't think they're quite the comfort level she's looking for. I mean, they fit. I would probably find them very comfortable, especially with that button-free yoga waistband. But she is picky.

I found some denim-printed knit on eBay that I think will work much better, but I'm *gasp* not buying any fabric this month. I know. I'm participating in the Stash Game over at Sewing Mamas, so I'm on a diet. Like all diets, it is hard. Especially when I found magical hard-to-find jegging fabric that might trick my daughter into wearing jeans. Deep breath....strength.

More Michael Miller Knit outfits to come!

7 comments:

  1. It wasn't me who deleted you. I...uh...shamefully admit I wasn't following you to begin with! ha! But not consciously. I just realized after you mentioned it, that I wasn't. All id corrected! :)

    The tunic is adorable BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have your blog in my google reader account, so I follow your blog. I'm the same way, I like it when people view my flickr pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Noooo, I'm NOT tracking who is or is not following me, so don't think that! My friends are definitely not obligated to read what I write!

    I was just so curious about the drop, like...why? What did I doooo. Very narcissistic of me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita! I also use my Reader to view blogs. Sometimes it's through an RSS feed, sometimes through Blogger following. I'm pretty sure that due to whatever reason, I follow lots of blogs but don't show up on the "Following" section.

    Thank you for reading and feeding my ego. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't know how to "follow" because I'm kind of computer not so smart, however; I read your blog and I love it :)
    Tera
    mommytomaddyharley on SM (who is also on a fabric diet :D )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Tera! I suspect that most of my readers probably aren't "Followers" because of the page counts...which is why I was so curious. But now I feel like I complained too much, whoops. :/ Anyway, glad you are reading/enjoying! Stash game is HARD, and it's only Day 2, right? Maybe I should stop browsing fabric online. That might help. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wasn't me! I like your blogging style plus your're a so cal girl like me. :)

    ReplyDelete