With this set I am almost done sewing through my stack of Michael Miller knits. I know it sounds weird to want to use up treasured fabric, but I feel that particular batch of fabric has been taunting me ever since we moved into this house. It has been saying, "heeeey, you wanted me so much, what are you freaking pansy-ing about for?? Huh? You wanna piece of me?!"
I can only take so much of that.
One more Modkid Abigail dress out of this stuff, and I will be left with a nice pile of scraps. Hopefully it will go towards the doll clothes I have been promising my daughter since forever.
Fabric: Clown Stripe in Cocoa and Elvira in Toffee 100% cotton interlock from Michael Miller fabrics.
Pattern(s): Modkid Maya yoga skirt and Ottobre Design 6/2010 #19 tunic. The tunic is a great basic that I can see myself going back to again and again. I broke from their instructions in that I serged everything except the side seams. For those I finished the raw edges with my serger, then sewed the actual seam with my sewing machine. That way I could press the seam open and have it lay nice and flat for the ribbon inserts.
The technique I used is called reverse applique. I originally learned how to do it from one of my Ottobre magazines, but I doubt they were the first to figure it out.
You make a sandwich: Solvy w/design drawn on it, t-shirt front, background fabric (floral in this case), then either tear away stabilizer or more Solvy on the bottom.
Then you stitch around your design. I used a reinforced straight stitch--which I hate, BTW, I am way too impatient for stitches like that. Next time I am totally just stitching around twice. Anyway, when you're done you remove the stabilizers and carefully cut away the t-shirt fabric on the inside of each shape.
I sketched the flower design using some circular shapes I had around the sewing room; in this case a candle (thanks, Lyn!) for the center and a pattern weight for the petals.
P.S. Here's a great reverse applique tutorial on Sewing Mamas. Seriously, that site almost never fails me. Even if you're too intimidated or overwhelmed by the forums, at least try out their downloads and tutorials sections. They are gold mines for information!
Next up I have shirts for the entire fam! Except DD, she already got hers...
Love that!!! I wish I'd bought some of the stripes. I passed and bought eh, hum, too much of the prints and dots, but passed on the stripes. Now I wish I'd gotten some seeing several cute things sewn up...next month :p
ReplyDeleteDon't kick yourself too much...I'm honestly that impressed with the stripes. :/ For some reason they don't seem to handle or wash as well as the prints in this collection. In the case of the stripes, it may be because the stripes are not printed, they are "woven" in? I don't know. Mine sewed more like a tricky rib knit and look a leeeeetle more pilly than the others after a wash or two.
ReplyDeleteThey are still really cute, but I think I'm going to have to baby my MM stripe garments. :p Stick with your dots, or proceed at your own risk, lol!
That is really cute!
ReplyDeleteWell now I have found your blog. So cute!! That applique is ingenious! My stripes faded differently than the coordinating dots if that helps any. I don't know why. Hopefully they will get better. I still love the MM knits. So soft and cuddly.
ReplyDelete