Tuesday, March 9, 2010

S'more Schtuff

Okay, here's the long-awaited stash game post. Because I sewed *sooo* much (<----- imagine sarcasm). And then I ordered, uh, *cough* some fabric. 'N' stuff. Y'know. UTTER FAILURE. Big fat 'F' & whatnot. Whatever, next time, eh? Here's what I did accomplish:

An old pattern, some older fabric. This one is McCall's 5431 in one of Tina Givens' older lines. Love, love these pretty flowers, and I love working with quilting cotton because it behaves. I wish the skirt sat higher up on my waist and was shorter, but I already had the on-seam pockets sewed on before I realized this--oh well. It will have to stay this way.



A yoga waist skirt in some of my very carefully hoarded Heather Ross Far, Far Away fabric. It is double-gauze, which is interesting to work with, because well, it's doubled fabric. Not my fave, but the end result is opaque and comfortable. I think I will be very grateful for this skirt come Summer. Oh, and no pattern--remember this dress? I cut off the top and made it a skirt. To accommodate the bust darts, I stuck them in the back, around my bum. Hey, no way I was going to waste this fabric!!



Yoga pants out of a heavily modified Kwik Sew pattern. I have an ancient pair of Forever 21 yoga pants that are scandalously low-rise and pre-children, but they do still fit my legs and butt well. So, I just laid them on my Kwik Sew pattern and morphed the two together. Now, that sounds terribly slap-dash, but I assure that I am very anal when I do this type of thing, because if I'm sloppy about it I will come up with something very wonky and ill-fitting. I used some buttery soft cotton/poly/nylon blend french terry from Fabric.com for this, and they feel awesome. I seriously need to make 5 more pairs because I am wearing them to death. The polka dots you see under my tank top (from an old Ottobre Woman pattern) are the cotton lycra waistband. I am wearing the waistband up to cover my child-mangled belly pooch, thereby making a nice smooth line under my tank top. Thank God for Lycra! (No, SERIOUSLY. Thank Him.)



Leeeeegggginngsssss!! Heck yeah, I love me some leggings. Deal with it. ;) Right now I am enamored with the amazing Kwik Sew 3770. It is so well-drafted and easy to sew. Okay, to be honest the tuxedo stripe ones were a leetle tricky. I learned the hard way that I needed to pin, pin, pin my stripe seams before serging or much non-straight-striped-ness would ensue. Nevertheless, we're not talking poly chiffon here. Mostly these were super quick and easy to sew. The ruched ones are out of shiny nylon lycra swimwear fabric, and the tuxedo ones are rayon lycra jersey with poly/rayon/lycra velvet. Both pairs are super comfortable and silky on my legs--LOVE!



K, this one is one of the beautiful patterns that Cynthia Rowley is doing for Simplicity. I used a rather non-stretchy Plum Pudding jersey that I got in my huge co-op order from a couple months ago. I would have said it was cotton, but after sewing and pressing it, I believe it must have at least some polyester in it. Nevertheless it is light and comfortable, and this pattern was so simple. I like simple. I get interrupted too much in my sewing to sew lots of complicated jackets, blah, blah. So sue me, this is my favorite kind of project: an easy knit dress.



Lastly for this post, some Valentine's Day stuff for me and DD. Because I am a rank nerd and I like to theme dress for holidays. It's FUN and makes me happy. I made a simple cotton jersey t-shirt dress for DD, with an appliqued heart from Chez Ami jersey on the front. Since V-day she has probably already worn this, like, 15x. I originally copied this pattern idea from a rtw dress she had, and now I've made it up so many times in different fabrics/patterns that I think I could make it in my sleep. Not to mention no matter what fabric I use, I know she'll WEAR it. That's priceless to me!


For me I made up Kwik Sew 3740 in some sort of poly lycra blend jersey. Honestly, I'm not sure what's in it. But it is comfortable and warm, and this pattern was another no-brainer one. It's just a t-shirt with a two-piece cowl collar. The collar is just genius, because not only is it rounded instead of a huge rectangle like most collar patterns, it has a separate, larger outer collar and a smaller, inner collar. The upside of all that is that the cowl hangs perfectly all the time with no fiddling. And this is why Kwik Sew patterns are so awesome--never mind the off-putting 1980s illustrations, they come out great and fit well.


That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment