
All this warm, beautiful weather we've been having here in SoCal has me thinking about the beach and pool and, well, basically just lounging around in something flowy. I recently got this Onion pattern in the mail from my co-op, and it seemed the perfect fit.
Fabric: Boutique print cotton/lycra jersey from co-op. I think it is Baby Lulu, but honestly I am pretty awful at identifying these older prints, so I could be dead wrong about that. The fabric is completely printed; meaning it is white on the inside, and the coral color is just inked on the outside. It is suuuuuper stretchy, but at the same time it was easy enough to work with. It didn't want to curl as crazily as some jerseys I've used (don't even get me started on rayon/lycra or bamboo/lycra blend jerseys...ahhh it is like sewing with clouds that you can't hold). Definitely high quality stuff.
Pattern: Onion 2024. Onion patterns come from Denmark, but you can often purchase English instructions for them, especially if you order from
ShopOnion.com. Since I got my pattern from a co-op, it came with zero English instructions, and one lone drawing--actually very helpful!--that explained how to do the twisty bust thing. Soooo...luckily I've made a few knit dresses here and there. Except for the bodice section, this dress was pretty straightforward.

As I couldn't see how any of my bras were going to work with this dress, I hand tacked some bra cups inside the bodice lining. This neckline is low, lemme tell you. Actually, after wearing it for a few hours and holding my son (who likes to pull at everything and stick his hand down my shirt), I decided it really needs a cami underneath. I didn't get a picture, but on Saturday I wore it all day with one of my $2 Old Navy camis under and no bra, and I think it was perfect. It also worked great over my swimsuit.

I have to include this picture, because this is what the dress looks like in real-life action. I'm probably yelling at my kids for something-rather and being an anal mom/drill sergeant. Full honesty here.

For some reason, probably related to the time of day, I really struggled to get any good close-up shots. So, it's kinda hard to make out, but I top stitched the straps and back bodice with my coverstitch for a nice professional finish. Not necessary, for sure, but I like the result.
FYI this would be a great sewing machine only project, as the bodice and straps are lined, so you don't have to finish the edges.

Since this is a jersey, and all jerseys curl to the right side, I did a 1" coverstitched hem on the ruffle. A rolled hem on my serger would have been easier, but then I would have had a *#%#%*ing curly hem on my hands, which I don't ever want. I also gathered the top of the ruffle with the wonder product that is clear
elastic, which I order by the bunch from Sewzannes. That way the seam stays nice and stretchy when I'm bending down with the kids and being a naggy B-mom.
K, coming up I have two more projects to show and a binding tutorial!
Hey, I think you were supposed to be pointing at the sky in that one picture.
ReplyDeleteUber cute dress! I love colorful things for summer!
LOL! "Stayin' aliii-hiii-hiii-ive...hey, kids knock it off!"
ReplyDelete