Monday, June 7, 2010

Bon Voyage Hopscotch

Look, my final Bon Voyage project! I cut this out way back when I cut into the rest of my Bon Voyage fabrics, but I only just now got around to it because of the thread colors.

That is one of the downsides to having so many machines--it is more of a big deal to switch threads/needles for different projects, so I tend to group things by similar color and needle type. It can kind of mess up my sewing inspiration, as sometimes by the time I get to something I've had in my head for months, I have lost my mojo for it. Luckily that wasn't the case for this project, as I was excited to finally finish up the last of this fabric.

Fabric: Bon Voyage by Timeless Treasures. Mystery coral cotton/lycra jersey from stash.

Pattern: Hopscotch skirt by Eva on SewingMamas. Modified Brooklyn tank top from Sewing Clothes Kids Love.

The Brooklyn tank is drafted with a shirttail hem, which I found tended to flip up a little bit when worn with a full skirt, so I did a straight hem for this one. The thing is, it still seems to want to flip up. I have come to the conclusion that I need to make it a little looser if I want to pair it with a skirt. The tank top as drafted would be great with pants or shorts, but the skirt requires a little more ease in the belly area.

I fused some Wonder Under to the back of a couple squares of fabric and cut out these shapes. Then I fused the shapes onto the shirt and sewed them down with a straight stitch. Yes, they will fray, but I call that "character". (Okay, I am way too lazy to do a freakin' satin stitch all around these, are you kidding me?! Not to mention, I am always worried that all those stitches will end up tearing a thin fabric like this one. So see, I base my sewing decisions on logic AND fear.)

P.S. When my DH saw this outfit, he asked, "why does she have a Zippo lighter on her shirt?" Wah-wah.

These Hopscotch skirts really come out full. DD loves them. She is on a skirt kick these days, and I am happy to oblige.

Here she is coming up with some excuse as to why she won't be still and pose for me. The excuse involves lots of gesturing and thinking. Hmm.

Next up, another skirt & shirt combo!

2 comments:

  1. Shane and I agree. It DOES look like a zippo lighter! That skirt is so cute and I love the print!!

    I think I can adapt the measurements of the stripwork skirt I have from Pink Fig to make something similar. I'm going to try, anyway. I have some fabric that I want to use but am so done with stripwork for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fer sure! These skirts are all just a bunch of rectangles, anyway. I agree that stripwork is pretty, but it can get tiring. Waaaay easier to just use one piece of fabric!

    ReplyDelete