I've decided to try this new thing where I start my post with a picture. That way you don't have to read through all my wordy crap before you know just what the heck it is that I've made this time. (That's sort of how my mom asks me what I'm making: "Leah, what are you making now?" As if I'm stirring up trouble for the umpteenth time, sigh. I know she doesn't mean to come off that way; she just can't help it. She's a sigh-y mom.)
I managed to finish up the Anna Maria Horner dress I was planning in my last post. That's right; I planned something and then actually sewed that exact item, according to plan, in a timely manner. Who knew. I completed it in time for Mother's Day yesterday, and then we had some sort of freaky wind storm thingee that made me freeze my a__ off at church while futilely pulling my sweater around me--fate is always on my side! Then my sister told me that I look like a little kid in the dress, mainly because it accentuates my chestless state. I dunno. I asked DH for his opinion, and he replied by running down the hall away from me. Such is the life of a youngest, I suppose.
*I* love the dress. So there. :p~~~~~
Pattern: Anna Maria Horner Evening Empire Dress. View A, above knee length with straps. Complete honesty: I like my dresses short, so I cut, like 4" off the pattern length. If you do not like your dresses short, this pattern will be plenty long enough for you as is.
Fabric: Very lightweight cotton print from Joanns. I got this fabric off the quilting wall, but it seems much more apparel-y than that. It is truly beautiful, and I really enjoyed looking at it the whole time I worked with it (shouldn't this be true for every sewing project?). I lined the skirt section with a thin cotton jersey.
(Side note: I typed "foot" so many times in that paragraph that all of a sudden it doesn't look like a word anymore. Damn you, weird English language!)
Hope everyone enjoyed their Mother's Day!
I just love this... and I don't think it made you look like a little girl. But it WAS freezing and totally inappropriate for the weather we had yesterday! Darn you weather!!! At least you had sweaters for your kids... oops!
ReplyDeleteOh and kudos on the beautiful centering job on the bodice. You framed the fabric so well and it looks SO polished. Nice photography on those last two shots too! ;-)
Thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteThe other day I asked Sam why the camera got angry when I tried to photograph a huge swath of blue fabric. He was like, "it wants to focus on something." I was like..."oh" So now I am *trying* to do that.
Huh, and to think that focusing on something in the photo actually makes for a better picture! ;-) That's what we like to call... good depth of field!
ReplyDeleteLike the dress.- love the fabric. I would not have guessed Joann's! I'm in SoCal too and I like your blog... adding to my reader!
ReplyDeleteThis is really pretty! I may have to pick up this pattern!
ReplyDeletebeautiful
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute! I just found your blog through SMS. I (hate to say it) did NOT like that AMH pattern when I first saw it, but now I see the possibilities. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Leah, great job on such a cute dress! Found your blog on SMS too, will add you to my reader so I can keep up with your sewing escapades. I am a lover of my left edge topstitching foot too (YAY Viking!!) it does make things cake to topstitch. Also enjoyed your tutorial on binding tshirts in the "flat". Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteI love your version of the dress! I'm here from the SMS blog, and I'll sure be back again, great job!
ReplyDeleteWow, glad y'all like my dress! This is so cool.
ReplyDeleteWould you believe that all your nice comments STILL won't sway my sister?? Maybe one day I will be able to make a garment that meets her high expectations, sniff.
Put another one in the "like" tally...actually, I REALLY like it! You've convinced me to pick up the pattern. The pouf factor you mentioned scared me off initially. Visiting from SMS as well--I'll definitely be back :)!
ReplyDelete