Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Year sewing...so far Pt. 2

I said I've sewn a lot this year already, and I wasn't kidding. I've gotten so much done that I can't even blog it all. But that's a good thing, right?

Mostly I've been working on a lot of dresses & coordinates for Spring for my daughter. I'm trying to get a head start this year by sewing a season ahead (see my sewing goals). First up is--what else--a pink dress. The fabric is by Barn Dandy's, and I've had it for-ev-er. Like maybe 3 years. I just could never find the perfect pattern for it, and I was loathe to put it with a coordinate. Last week I decided it was perfect for McCalls 5613, a pattern I'd been wanting to try and finally picked up at the last Joann's sale. It's an easy sundress pattern with elastic in the back, so you don't need a zipper. I sewed up a quick t-shirt to go under using an old Burda pattern and also used some more of my stretch french terry to make another version of the cardigan that I made for my friend's daughter. Voila: mix-and-match/transitional clothing.

Forgive the many pictures, my model was very into the photo shoot, but not so cooperative. And she insisted on posing in front of her dollhouse.



I love the pleats in the front, and check out these awesome buttons! They were $1 each at Yardage Town, but I really think they make the dress. BTW, I have thought about it and decided that Yardage Town has, hands down, the very best button selection in town. I always, always find exactly what I need there.



The cardi uses bias tape on the inside fronts, and all I had for pink-ish bias tape was some old scraps I'd used on a coat way back when she was 18 months old. Yay for using up old stash stuff! It doesn't exactly match, but that's the way I like it. :)


While I had this pattern out, I went ahead and sewed up one of the other views with a puffed sleeve tee underneath. And...well, I hate it. It's so sweet it makes my teeth hurt. I think this dress is much better served with a plain white tee or tank under it. I haven't gotten back around to that yet, though, so in the meantime here it is, as is. See, even she looks sad about it:



No way I was scrapping this tee, which my daughter has dubbed her "favorite", so I came up with something else to put with it. She is really into ballet/skirts lately, so I sewed a tiered skirt with attached shorts underneath. She LOVES this outfit, and now asks to wear it every day. I shouldn't roll my eyes at that, but, sheesh, the child really does get stuck on certain outfits. Oh well, at least she's happy.



Here she is doing an "arabesque" in it. Where she gets these terms, I have no idea, because she is not currently in ballet or dance or anything! Not yet, at least. In the meantime she pretends. :)


Last, but not least, the one dress she won't wear. I knew the entire time I was sewing it that she wouldn't, but well...I was in denial. I love, LOVE all the upcycled dresses that Ashley over at Lil' Blue Boo makes, and I wanted to try my hand at one. I used her Sienna dress pattern, some rare and treasured Harajuku Lovers fabric, and scraps from an Old Navy shirt that doesn't fit me. It came out so cute and looks adorable on her, but alas, she is not funky. She's uber-princessy. Sigh.


These dresses are so great because they are easy to layer, which also ups the mis-matched factor. I love this bird print tee under the dress. So sad. Maybe she'll change her mind??


Okay, that's it for now. I'm off to go finish working on a drapey cardigan. Next post will hopefully be about all the crazy cardigans my sister and I have been working on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment