Monday, December 7, 2009

Pa-jay-jays

Well, that's what we call them in our house, anyhow. I know, so wrong, but that's us. :p~ My kids are so going to be the ones that aren't allowed over to other kids' houses!

I have not been sewing too much in this last month. Every year, starting with my DD's birthday at the end of October on through all the holidays, it gets a little crazy around here. This year I have a son going through his terrible twos, and come to think of it, both of my kids are driving my crazy with their behavior and sleep issues. Soo, it's been a little difficult to get anything done, much less be in a creative mood.

It's Christmas time though, and that means presents/pjs sewing! In the past week I've gotten a few pieces done. These are all from the latest Ottobre issue, 6/2009:

Top nightgown is for my DD, and the two lower ones are for her twin best friends.


Closeup of my (somewhat wonky)coverstitching around the necklines. I don't currently have a clear foot for my machine, and the regular foot has about an inch of opaque-ness in front of the needle. Really, really hard to topstitch that way. I'm hoping to get a more topstitch-friendly foot for Christmas.


The dress is not crooked, just my camera angle. I made the nightgowns almost floor length, sooo fun for girls. Heck, I kinda want one. :)



I also made matching pjs for my new nephew and his toddler brother. This was the first time I've ever made anything sleeper-ish, and it was so fun! I'm so pleased with the way it turned out. I used a wonderful plane/camo interlock I got from Fabric.com, and it matched very nicely with some Joann's rib I had on hand.


Look at the lovely snaps! This part of the outfit could have really eaten it, so I'm so happy with how, well, perfectly the ribbing and snaps turned out. Crossing my fingers that these snaps don't come off with repeated use. I pounded so, soooo thoroughly with my hammer. Oh, and the 16mm snaps & snap tool I used are from The Snap Source.


My first binding with my coverstitch! Once I get that clear foot and/or a binder for my machine, this will go so much easier. As it was, it was nerve wracking, but turned out fine.


These are the jammies for the older brother. I made a size 4T with 5T length, so I am really, really hoping they fit him well.


I used my triple-coverstitch for the hems. Seemed more boy-ish that way.


I like to use a little square of the same fabric to mark the back. That way you (e.g. HUSBANDS) can tell where the back is, but it's still nice and soft.


Here's what the backside of the triple-coverstitch looks like.


I just did a narrow double-coverstitch around the neckline for this one, letting the right needle fall in the ditch. I think this came out better than the nightgowns, but it still sucks to stitch around stuff blind. The coverstitch is stretchier than a sewing-machine stitch, so this will stabilize the neck w/o, hopefully, the stitches popping. Most RTW pjs have the coverstitching around all the ribbing, but that's just not really practical for the way I construct my garments. As long as I do the neckline, I'm happy.


Okay, that's all for now, more to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment